Saturday, March 17, 2007

Thing 13 - Del.icio.us

Only when I created my own del.icio.us account did I see the real power of tagging. Once I figured out that 'post to del.ici.us' link couldn't be added to our IE toolbar, it took a while to locate it under Favorites > Links > Post to del.icio.us. By leaving the Favorites window open in the left nav, I could easily select sites under interesting tags and post them to my del.icio.us account. Pretty soon I was developing an interesting word cloud of interesting topic-tags. And with a simple click, I can also delete articles that don't strike my fancy anymore. My major problem was booting myself out of del.icio.us if I clicked 'back' too many times.

I rapidly realized that I could cruise screen after screen of SJLibraryLearning2 entries, but that it was much easier to choose a tag from the right nav. I felt like an informational sheep because I was drawn to entries with the highest 'hit' counts ... and they usually were entries from well known, respected sources. Del.icio.us offers both public library customers and SJSU students a dynamic way of building a personalized database of web resources that is organized and 'speaks' to each person in the language/terms/tags/vocabulary that is most meaningful to themselves.

1 comment:

Virtual Services Team said...

You have till March 30 to complete your blog if you wish to recieve the prize. Don't give up now!