Monday, March 26, 2007

Thing 19 - LibraryThing

LibraryThing will become my electronic memory. I typically borrow books from the library and only buy the titles that are 'keepers.' Needless to say, I'll forget the titles of the books I read, but didn't buy. An assortment of my recent reads are now listed at http://www.librarything.com/catalog.php?view=SJJoan. When entering the Power of Now (284 possible matches) I discovered that entering the ISBN rather than just the author's name is necessary to rapidly and easily identify your edition. I also got sidetracked by meandering through the 'recommendations machine' and then linking to Amazon or B&N to read Booklist reviews. For those with web connectivity from their cell phone, the ability to check LibraryThing while shopping at B&N or Borders before you buy a book, could prevent you from buying a book that's already gracing your bookshelf. Comparing my tags to the tags in the word cloud was interesting, however I didn't spend a lot of time reading other folk's comments on titles.

No comments: