Monday, March 26, 2007

Thing 18 - Online Productivity Tools

It was fast and easy to create a Zoho Writer account and create a couple of small test documents. Zoho or Writely will be great tools for SJPL teams or committees who are working together to create a document or report. Web-based applications make any kind of collaborative document creation easy. Zoho has the same group editing feature as a wiki and allows all the collaborators to access the document from any PC . I managed to export my 'Grandmasparty' doc to my blog (see below). I had expected my Blogger account to open and be given the option of choosing where to place my Zoho doc. Instead, the Zoho doc was simply plopped in as the most recent blog post. Now I have to get more comfortable moving text and graphics around from within my blog.

btw ... Mike Sarhad has already created a fantastic Word Processing, Spreadsheets & More page in Web Links by Subject. When all the RAC computers are in use, Reference staff point SJSU students to the online applications page when they are forced to use Research computers that don't have Word or Excel loaded.

1 comment:

Arvind said...

Thanks for trying out Zoho Writer, Joan!

About Zoho Writer publishing directly to your blog, there is a 'Post as Draft' checkbox availale. Check it and your document will get posted as a draft. You can then login to your blogger account, edit it if needed and then make it visible in your blog.

Check out http://zoho.com for more of Zoho's productivity enhancement tools.